This version addresses performance enhancements and general ui updates. These include:
- Improved mysql filter response
- Page/event loading progress bar
- Database cleanup – small set around 93420
- Added link to blog
- Changed map on-click pop up – market details are now displayed in a larger section to the right of the map
- Added products to the market details – for those locations where we have base info
- Fixed column widths issue for all markets in current state
An issue with the filter options for state and custom location has been detected where the filter results are hit and miss.
Current issues include:
- Some results are not being plotted
- Some results are returned but not complete
Due to these issues the filter options have been temporarily removed until it is resolved.
Update: 9/28/2013 – The issue has been correct and the filters are available again.
This version includes some styling updates & general UI improvements along with additional filter options. The details include…
- Additional filter options for the mapped locations
- Reset “home” point – allows for searching for any address with currently selected state and returns markets nearby based on simple mile distances
- Radius adjustment – choose what kind of distance you are interested in going to find markets within your state.
- State selection – load markets for another state – sort and search, plot additional points
- Blog theming – nothing big or fancy just easy to read
On 9/27/2013 an issue was reported that had filters temporarily removed. They are back now – for more information and updates please see the full issue and resolution.
This is not an intense first version but more of simpler is better philosophy. The basic functionality is there to let anyone (within the US) find known markets nearby and/or in their state.
- Imported 8000+ USDA Farmer’s Markets - some with additional information about date/time/products/etc
- Get current user location
- Show all know markets with 30 miles and any additional information
- See all of the markets in the current state and sort/search against the whole
- After filtering allow the addition of markets outside of the “nearby” by selecting them from the results
First roll is just a simple mobile friendly site however as this progresses it will also be wrapped into an app (android then iOS) using phonegap and cordova.
As of now there is no publication date for this – but aiming for October 1st.
To help make sure that our data is as complete as possible direct user feedback or UGC work will be added to the mix and will be completed in three phases.
Phase one – allow users to suggest changes to market info – manual updates
- Information is submitted as a suggestion
- Suggester get feedback that their items have been suggested
- Suggestion is checked against current values and immediately excepted if we do not already have the suggested information
- Loop close with suggester if their information was added and explanation as to why some might not have been
* In the case of UGC, information obtained via direct correspondence with the market planners will take precedent
Continuing UGC and updates from version 1.0.2.
Phase two - allow users to make real time changes to market info – automatic updates – short period – 9/22
- Same idea as phase one – without the human component. This will include:
- Automatic response to suggester with provided information and notification of processing
- Immediate addition of new information – where none was found – and notification to support of collisions with current sets
- Auto loop close with suggester as to whether or not what they provided made it in to publication and if so what pieces
Continuing UGC and updates from version 1.0.2.
Phase three - automatic verification of “collision” data – long period & possibly to be moved to version 1.1.1, after first mobile build
- When conflicting information is found reach out to market planners for correct choice
- Also poll market website – if one exists – for any changes and make comparison
- Start adding basic rules for site/suggestion comparison to determine winning data
- Notification to market planners – if contact information is available – that data has been suggested/accepted that may contradict with their actual details and an opportunity for response/correction
Extra information about each vendor/farm attending and unique profiles for each.
It has been a labor of love but we are live!
I set out without a goal – never have a hard time finding a farmer’s near me again, ever, regardless of where I am at any given time. While we aren’t quite there yet I know we are the way and am proud to have published findmyfarmers.com 1.0. There are a ton of planned improvements and concepts to come and any/all feedback is welcome. To find out about those improvements, approximate dates for updates, and what will be included in each version check out the What’s New section.
It will be slow going as this is a one man band at the moment but bare with me, we will get there.